Who Should Go to a Residential Treatment Program in South Carolina?
If you or someone you love live with addiction, you know that it is a serious condition that is often surrounded by strong emotions. Left untreated, an addiction can lead to significant problems, both for the addicted person and their communities. An addiction can cause serious damage to people’s mental and physical health, put a strain on their relationships, and can result in legal and financial issues that take years to recover from.
Substance abuse treatment can be effective, especially if it treats the whole person and includes support for their loved ones. There are many different levels of care in addiction treatment, including inpatient and outpatient care.
The level of care you need depends on a variety of personal and environmental factors. For some people, receiving care while living in the facility is the best choice. This is known as residential treatment or inpatient rehab. Understanding as much as possible about this level of care can help you make the best choice about how and where you receive care.
Signs You Need Residential Treatment in South Carolina
Your doctor or an addiction specialist can help you determine which level of care is appropriate to meet your needs. Generally, inpatient treatment is a good choice for people with the following needs:
- A severe or long-lasting addiction – Addiction is a complex disease that you cannot overcome alone. The more serious your addiction is, the more likely you are to relapse. An inpatient rehab program can provide you with the intensive, supportive care you need.
- A history of relapse – Repeated relapses indicate there is something you need to change in your recovery program. A residential care program can help you develop healthy daily habits, build a support system, and learn practical relapse prevention strategies.
- Have attempted a lower level of care without success – Some people need the structured environment offered by inpatient rehab. If you’ve tried outpatient programs before but ended up relapsing, you can benefit from a higher level of care.
- Unstable or unsupportive living condition – Outpatient rehab requires you to live at home or in a sober living home. However, if you don’t have access to a safe, supportive home environment, your sobriety may be in jeopardy. Residential treatment programs in South Carolina give you a safe place to heal.
- Withdrawal symptoms occur when reducing or stopping their substance use – If you are physically dependent on drugs or alcohol, you may need medical support and monitoring which is offered at inpatient rehab centers.
- A dual diagnosis (a mental illness and substance use disorder) – Co-occurring disorders are best treated on a residential basis due to unique treatment needs.
While residential treatment is not the right form of treatment for everyone, it offers numerous benefits to the people who need it.
What Happens in Residential Treatment Programs?
Each person who attends residential treatment in South Carolina will receive a treatment plan that is tailored to meet their needs. Generally, inpatient rehab happens in stages. These include:
- Intake assessment: You will answer questions and give information about your substance use, treatment history, medical and mental health needs, and other important factors that will help your treatment team create an effective program for you.
- Detox: If needed, you will have a medically supervised treatment period. You will be monitored and treated for any uncomfortable or dangerous withdrawal symptoms you have. You will also have physical distance from potential triggers, making it more likely that you will have a complete detox.
- Treatment: Your treatment plan may consist of medications, education, group support, individual therapy, family therapy, holistic treatments, and mental health or medical care.
- Aftercare: During treatment, you will create an aftercare plan that keeps you active and engaged in addiction recovery once you complete your treatment program. This may include continuing therapy, joining a recovery alumni network, or attending regular group support or 12-step meetings.
All treatment activities will take place throughout the day on a regular, predictable schedule. Living in the treatment facility allows you to access your treatment team and receive support while focusing solely on your recovery from addiction.
Benefits of Residential Addiction Treatment in South Carolina
South Carolina has an active and engaged recovery community. There are many high-quality addiction treatment programs available at every level of care. South Carolina Addiction Treatment offers comprehensive residential treatment programs that are designed to empower people as they work to overcome addiction. We offer tailored treatment options to people at every step of their journey with addiction, including high-quality residential treatment.
Some of the benefits of residential addiction treatment are:
- Ability to focus a lot of time and energy on recovery activities
- Safe and secure living conditions
- A calm, structured environment
- Scheduled activities to maximize time in treatment
- Round-the-clock access to mental health, medical, and addiction specialists
- Education about addiction and coping skills
- Support from a community of peers and staff members
- Help with aftercare planning
- Ability to connect with community recovery resources
Research shows that people who complete a residential treatment program are more likely than others to be successful at avoiding a relapse. Residential addiction treatment programs can be adapted to meet people’s needs and are offered in a variety of residential settings. Receiving intensive, comprehensive treatment in a comfortable, homelike environment gives people the chance for a fresh start.
Start Residential Drug and Alcohol Treatment in South Carolina Today
If you or someone you love requires residential treatment in South Carolina or needs support at any point in their recovery from addiction, please know that help is available. Reach out to the staff at South Carolina Addiction Treatment to learn more about our personalized, comprehensive substance abuse treatment programs.
We believe that everyone deserves life-changing addiction treatment. We will work hard to find the right programs to meet your needs and will navigate your insurance and payment options so that you can focus on healing.
Don’t wait another day for the treatment you need. Call today to speak to one of our knowledgeable admissions counselors.
Medically Reviewed: September 25, 2019
All of the information on this page has been reviewed and verified by a certified addiction professional.